Welcome to Mar Vista
Laid-back. Artsy. Family-focused. View-filled.
Everyone’s buzzing about Mar Vista. This up-and-coming neighborhood near Venice Beach and Marina del Rey has a laid-back, hipster vibe while at the same time being community-focused and family-oriented. Downtown walls are lined with murals, and most homes are within walking distance of stylish boutique shops and international restaurants and grocery stores. Just minutes from the beach, Mar Vista offers flat streets filled with custom-builds and mid-century homes, distinctive businesses and some of the best ocean views in the city (hence its name, “sea view”), making it one of the most sought-after areas on the west side. Locals are a mix of new arrivals and families that have lived there for generations.
Home types: Classic properties such as the tract of mid-century-modern homes designed by Gregory Ain, elegant 1920s-to-1940s properties lining Mar Vista’s downtown area along Grand View Boulevard and attractive new custom-builds.
What we love: Family-friendly neighborhood; hip, up-and-coming vibe; mix of classic and modern homes; epic ocean views
Most residents of Mar Vista are within walking distance of stylish boutique shops and cool markets.
- Mar Vista Farmers’ Market (Sundays between 9AM and 2PM) is where you can find locally-grown produce and vendors selling artisanal foodstuffs.
- Whimsy & Row is a favorite for eco-conscious womenswear.
- Tortoise General Store has long been the west side’s go-to shop for curated Japanese home goods.
- Rustic Kitchen Market & Café is a family-run upscale grocery with elevated café and deli eats, plus an impressive selection of wine and beer.
- Mitsuwa Marketplace sells Japanese groceries, specialty items, and tasty ramen bowls.
- Samosa House similarly offers a selection of hard-to-find Indian groceries and authentic cuisine.
- Atmosphere Mar Vista is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, serving French-inspired contemporary cuisine on the restaurant’s outdoor patio.
- Little Fatty rounds out Mar Vista’s international dining choices with delicious authentic Taiwanese comfort food.
Entertainment & Recreation
A variety of regular community events take place in this vibrant neighborhood.
- Mar Vista Music & Art Walk, held four times a year, is the perfect time to check out Mar Vista’s many local galleries while enjoying street performances from local musicians, grabbing a bite to eat from gourmet food trucks, and seeing artists at work on the neighborhood’s streets.
- The HUB on Venice is a unique community building that combines a Jewish synagogue with an early childhood learning center, classes and literary programs for older students, and Yemenite dining and live entertainment from local performers at the Sophos Café.
- Oasis Healing Center is another community highlight, offering access to a diverse group of healing practitioners and therapists.
Mar Vista is zoned to the Los Angeles Unified Public School District. Schools include:
- Mar Vista Elementary, Public, K-5
- Beethoven Street Elementary, Public, K-5
- Goethe International Charter, Public (Charter), K-8/
- Venice Senior High, Public (Magnet), 9-12
- Windward School, Private (Nonsectarian), 7-12